Tuesday, April 19, 2011

getting there

It's been 2 weeks and 3 days since I broke down and declared myself "injured." Since then I have taken quite a few days off, unintentionally raised my speed by 2min/mile, gone to PT and gone to the chiro (both docs several times).

I am starting to see progress.  Today I ran almost 8 miles and got my pace back down to about a minute above where I would have wanted it.  I am no longer following any plan that goes out further than 1 day b/c I don't know how my hip will feel until I start running.

I have been diagnosed with an injury my PT has seen only once before, in a soccer player.  He asked me if my running routine looked something like a steeplechase course.  Since normally this injury comes from kicking up high and dodging from side to side.  It's a strain of the pectineus muscle

Am I worried about the Country Music Marathon which is in 10 days..?  Absolutely.  I'm worried about finishing now instead of being worried about qualifying for Boston.  It's such a shock to the way I've been thinking for the past few months.  A little over 2 weeks ago I was running a 22.5 mile training run, I was doing long runs at a pace of 8:20, I was doing tempo runs well into the 7s.  Now I am scared to even start a run, because I don't know if I'll be able to do it.  I'm running paces into the 10s or even 11s.  I've missed almost 100 miles in training.  I'm SCARED.

However,  CMM has a 1/2 option.  I figure that I can run the half if need be.  Will I be disappointed?  Absolutely!  Is it really more important that I still raised close to $3000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society?  Absolutely!

My focus, for getting a fast time, will now be Vermont City which is Memorial Day weekend.  My injury may still affect that race.  It really depends on how CM goes.  For now I'm playing a lot of things by ear and trying not to think about the training that I missed.

In the meantime...I have loved reading all the Boston recaps and Tweets!  You guys are all awesome.  Congratulations!

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry dude. You will get there. Sometimes time and rest is just what the doctor ordered but you'll get there none the less. I wish you luck either way. I'm sure you will ROCK IT. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you so much support and positive vibes!! Whatever you decide to do, it will be amazing, and from your heart! If you need a laugh just think about are dear friend Terry! ;) You WILL get there Carlee! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang in there, and take care of yourself. i'm sending get well soon vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete